Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A fancy breakfast for a change of pace. Or brunch.
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb asparagus
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- fresh thyme (a few leaves)
- 2 eggs
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- Try to purchase pencil thin asparagus (or else use a vegetable peeler to thin your asparagus stalks).
- Steam asparagus, over boiling water, just until tender, 2 to 3 minutes; drain, pat dry, and dress with about 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Meanwhile, season bread crumbs with salt and a few fresh thyme leaves and about 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Transfer crumbs to a small skillet, over medium heat, and toast, stirring occasionally, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Divide the crumbs into 2 portions and pat down to form a bed for the eggs.
- Crack the eggs over the bread crumbs, season with salt and pepper, cover tightly, and cook to desired doneness.
- Arrange the asparagus on 2 plates, then drape and egg over each asparagus bundle.
- Add vinegar to pan and let sizzle a moment, then drizzle over eggs.