Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Vegetables with citrus mayonnaise.
- 1 lb asparagus spear
- 1 moro orange or 1 blood orange
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (Use home made, or Hellman's/Best Foods)
- Prepare the asparagus by removing the "wooden" part of the stalk.
- Do this by gently bending the spear until it breaks of its own accord.
- This will remove the less edible portion.
- Cut the stalks to equal length for formal presentation.
- Steam asparagus just past al dente, drain and plate.
- Squeeze the juice from the Italian blood orange.
- Slowly mix the juice into the mayonnaise to avoid lumping.
- For extra color and flavor some of the minced zest may be scattered over the spears.
- Plate the spears on an oblong platter with the tips all facing in one direction.
- Run a swath of the seasoned mayonnaise down the center of the asparagus.
- Sprinkle zest over the plate and serve.
With commercial mayonnaise, this looked like Asparagus in Pepto-Bismol. I think this might work fine with homemade mayonnaise, though, which would be yellower. I love asparagus with a citrus mayonnaise, so I was really looking forward to this, but the blood orange juice naturally tinted the storebought mayonnaise the most unnatural shade of pink. I have no idea what it actually tasted like, because every time I looked at it my mouth started expecting strawberries or bubblegum.