Recipe by Michael Kinsel
Asparagus with a nice Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar taste. The bacon adds flavor and texture.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Since I made this for just the 2 of us, I cut the recipe in half! We thoroughly enjoyed the Dijon mustard mix over this vegetable & will be making it again, next time for company! Thanks for sharing a great recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef event]
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄4 cup red onion (chopped finely)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed, sliced in 2 to 3 inch inch lengths
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- (Optional) cook an additional 8 slices of bacon to wrap around asparagus into bundles (2 slices each bundle).
- Cook bacon until nice and crispy; remove to paper towels to drain. (If wrapping into bundles, cook 8 slices of bacon so that bacon is cooked, but NOT crispy. Crispy bacon is very difficult to wrap around the asparagus if it is too crispy).
- Steam the asparagus for 4 – 6 minutes.
- Remove some of the bacon grease from the pan, leaving two to three tablespoons. In a large fry pan or Wok, add onion, butter, bacon grease and cook onion until soft. Add asparagus to the pan and sauté over medium to low heat for about 4 minutes, turning asparagus every 15 seconds.
- Put in a bowl and toss with the mustard and vinegar. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- (Optional) Split Asparagus into 4 bundles and wrap with 2 slices of bacon.