Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
One of the many ways to incorporate asparagus into authentic Chinese cuisine.
- 1 lb medium to thick asparagus (don't try to use the thin stuff for this)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 teaspoon sliced or slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 -3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Snap off and discard the tough ends of the asparagus.
- Slice the rest on the diagonal (or, if you know how to do it, use the Chinese rolling cut).
- Parboil for about two minutes.
- Rinse in cold running water to stop the cooking process and drain.
- (Can be done well ahead of time).
- Heat the oil and toss the scallions for 15- 20 seconds.
- Add the parboiled asparagus and stir fry on high flame until thoroughly heated.
- Stir in the salt& sugar, then the almonds.
- Serve immediately.
- (Note: this dish can also be made with many other vegetables. Green beans work particularly well).
I loved this! I made it with local asparagus. I didn't have scallions so I used a few slices of shallots. I will definitely make this again soon!
Made this with Frenched green beans. Great ingredient combination and technique.