Prep 5 mins
Cook 9 mins
- 18 large fresh asparagus spears (, about 1 pound)
- 1 large vidalia onions (about 1/2 pound) or 1 large sweet onion (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chervil
- 1 (1 lb) loafun-sliced round pumpernickel bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- parsley sprig
- Snap off tough ends of asparagus; remove scales with a knife or vegetable peeler, if desired.
- Peel onion, leaving root intact; cut onion into 6 wedges.
- Drop asparagus and onion wedges into a large saucepan of boiling water; cook 3 minutes.
- Drain and plunge into ice water; drain well.
- Pat dry with a paper towel; set aside.
- Combine ricotta cheese, fresh thyme, chives, and chervil in a bowl; stir well, and set aside.
- Cut bread crosswise into 6 (1-inch-thick) slices; reserve remaining bread for another use.
- Spread butter evenly over 1 side of each bread slice.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and place over medium heat until hot.
- Arrange half of bread slices, buttered sides down, in skillet, and cook 2 minutes or until browned.
- Remove bread slices from skillet, and set aside.
- Repeat procedure with remaining bread slices.
- Cut each toasted bread slice into 6 triangles.
- Spread cheese mixture evenly over toasted side of triangles, and set aside.
- Recoat skillet with cooking spray; add olive oil, and place over medium heat until hot.
- Add asparagus, onion, salt, and pepper; sauté for 4 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve with toast triangles.
- Garnish with parsley sprigs.