Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
This recipe appeared recently in one of our local newspapers. As it is the asparagus season, this makes a great soup.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped small
- 30 stalks fresh asparagus, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth or 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, melt butter on medium-high heat.
- Add onions, garlic, asparagus and potatoes and cook until onions are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove 12 asparagus tips and reserve for garnish.
- Add chicken broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
- Puree soup in a food processor or blender until smooth, then return to saucepan.
- Add half-and-half cream and heat through, but do not boil.
- Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with grated cheese and reserved asparagus tips.
- This soup can be chilled and served cold.