Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a great soup, very tasty, you can have it as a filling soup during the week or its also great for the starter of a dinner party. DH really enjoys this soup even though he's not a great fan of Asparagus. The recipe was originally from the 'Australian Table' Jan 2002 Magazine. I've served the heated as well as cold - both are great. Cooking time is refrigertion time
- Cut woody ends off asparagus and discard, cut asparagus into 3 cm lenghts, separate tips and stalks.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil, add asparagus tips and cook for 1 minute. Drain and run under cold water - place on a clean tea towel and reserve.
- Melt butter in a large pan, add leeks and cook over moderate heat until soft, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add asparagus stalk pieces, potatoes, thyme, chicken stock and 2 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer until potatoes are easily pierced with a skewer, about 20 minutes.
- Discard thyme springs, blend soup with hand blender or in a blender, add milk and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until well chilled, about 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve soup in chilled bowls, scattered with chives and reserved asparagus tips.