4 hrs 30 mins
This is a great soup, very tasty, you can have it as a filling soup during the week or its also great for the starter of a dinner party. DH really enjoys this soup even though he's not a great fan of Asparagus. The recipe was originally from the 'Australian Table' Jan 2002 Magazine. I've served the heated as well as cold - both are great. Cooking time is refrigertion time
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut woody ends off asparagus and discard, cut asparagus into 3 cm lenghts, separate tips and stalks.
- 2Bring a pot of water to the boil, add asparagus tips and cook for 1 minute. Drain and run under cold water - place on a clean tea towel and reserve.
- 3Melt butter in a large pan, add leeks and cook over moderate heat until soft, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 4Add asparagus stalk pieces, potatoes, thyme, chicken stock and 2 cups water and bring to a boil.
- 5Cover and simmer until potatoes are easily pierced with a skewer, about 20 minutes.
- 6Discard thyme springs, blend soup with hand blender or in a blender, add milk and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- 7Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until well chilled, about 4 hours or overnight.
- 8Serve soup in chilled bowls, scattered with chives and reserved asparagus tips.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asparagus Vichyssoise
Serving Size: 1 (276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 142.7
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 22.0 mg
- Sodium 152.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 6.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: