Recipe by hannahactually
This healthy, absolutely delicious vegetarian dish comes from Mollie Katzen's great cookbook "Still Life with Menu." You can do steps 1 and 2 well ahead of time. If you cook the noodles ahead, store them in water until use, then drain thoroughly.
Top Review by kleine_rosa_hexe
This was a nice dish - once you are finished preparing the veggies, it goes very fast. I made it with some more mushrooms and asparagus and reduced the amount of (whole wheat) noodles. My husband enjoyed it and I had some leftovers for lunch today.
I also skipped the additional salt and used low-sodium Soy Sauce. It tasted great.
- 8 scallions, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chinese dark sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon honey or 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb vermicelli or 1⁄2 lb linguine
- 1⁄2 lb tofu, in small dice
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 lb slim asparagus, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1-inch lengths
- 15 mushrooms, sliced
- toasted sesame seeds or cashews, for the top
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine the scallions, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, red pepper, lemon juice, sesame oil, water, sugar or honey, and salt. Stir in the tofu. Cover and let stand for at least 15 minutes (longer is OK . You can prepare the other ingredients during this time.).
- Cook the noodles in plenty of boiling, salted water until tender. Drain, rinse in warm water, and drain again.
- Place a large wok over medium heat and wait a minute or two. Add 2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil, then turn up the heat. Add the asparagus and mushrooms, and stir-fry for several minutes until the asparagus is just tender.
- Add the drained noodles and stir-fry for about 3 more minutes, keeping the heat high. (It helps to use tongs for the stirring at this point.).
- Pour in the entire bowlful of marinade-plus-tofu. Cook and stir another 3 minutes or so, or until the sauce is well distributed and everything is heated through.
- Serve immediately, topped with toasted sesame seeds and/or cashews.