Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
A very lovely, pale green soup perfect for spring. If you can't get creme fraiche, there are recipes posted--such as Creme Fraiche Creme Fraiche. Very nice at lunch with a sandwich or salad, or at dinner as a soup course served with frico. To make this soup truly elegant, strain through a fine mesh strainer before serving.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 4 cups leeks, chopped (white and pale green parts only, from about 2 large leeks)
- 3 lbs asparagus, tough ends broken off and discarded, spears cut into 2 inch pieces
- 6 1⁄2 cups unsalted chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 3 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 2 cups creme fraiche
- Melt butter in heavy large deep-sided nonreactive pot over medium heat.
- Add shallot and garlic (if using) and leeks and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add asparagus and saute 2 minutes.
- Add broth and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Bring to simmer, reduce heat and simmer gently, uncovered, until vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Using hand held blender, puree soup in pot. Alternately, working in batches, puree soup in food processor, blender, or food mill. Return soup to same pot.
- Stir in 1 cup creme fraiche.
- Season to taste with salt and fresh ground white pepper.
- If serving immediately, reheat soup a few minutes if necessary.
- Soup can be prepared 2 days ahead; just cool, cover and refrigerate and then stir over medium heat until heated through before serving.
- To serve, ladle soup into 8 soup bowls. Garnish each with a dollop of creme fraiche. Sprinkle with chives.