Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
These pretty, savory tarts are a nice side dish for lunch with soup and salad perhaps, or with a formal dinner, and would be lovely at a brunch.
- 680.38 g asparagus, trimmed to 6-inch lengths
- 29.58 ml olive oil, divided
- 4.92 ml herbes de provence
- 1.23 ml salt
- 0.59 ml fresh ground pepper
- 473.18 ml onions, thinly sliced
- 2 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 236.59 ml gruyere, shaved with veg peeler
- Heat oven to 375°F Line 2 large baking hseets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In large bowl toss asparagus with 1 Tbsp oil, the herbes, salt and pepper. set aside.
- Heat remaining Tbsp oil in skillet and saute onions over med-low heat until browned and very tender, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- On a lighlty floured surface, roll out one sheet of puff pastry to form a 10x15 inch rectangle. Trim a 3-inch wide strip off the bottom side and the right side, (and save pastry strips) to form a 7x12 inch rectangle. Then cut that rectangle into 3 even 4x7 inch pieces.
- Brush a 1/2 inch border around the edge of each rectangle with egg. Cut the trimmed strips into 6 1/2-inch pices and use them to form a crust around the edge. Repeat the process with the second sheet so that you have 6 rectangular crusts.
- Divide up the onions down the center of each pastry.Neatly arrange the asparagus stalks on each pastry, on top of the onions, tips all facing the same direction.
- Bake at 375 F until the pastry is puffed and golden. brown, 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with shaved gruyere and fresh ground pepper if desired.
These absolutely ROCKED!!!! WOW!!! Can't wait to make these for company!! (*And as easy as they are to make, they'd make a great brunch or lunch side to go along with soup and/or salad! ;) :) ) Thanks so much!!!! :) Made for the ZWT5! :) (And will be be made many times more!) ;) :)
This was a really good recipe. I made exactly as written for our DD after grad-grad party!! Served it with fresh fruit and spinach salad. Thanks for posting this. Made and reviewed for Zaar Chow Hounds...ZWT5.