Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Light & Tasty; original calls for half & half, but I'll try it with nonfat half & half or nonfat evaporated milk. Haven't tried yet; I probably won't until spring.
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 3 cups water
- 1 (9 inch) pastry for single-crust pie
- 2⁄3 cup shredded gruyere or 2⁄3 cup swiss cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Heat oven to 400* F.
- Cut tips 2" long from asparagus spears; set aside. Cut stem ends into 3/4" pieces.
- Bring water to boil in small saucepan; add the 3/4" asparagus pieces. Cover and boil 3-4 minutes until tender. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water for 3-4 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry into a 13" circle. Press into bottom and up sides of ungreased 11" tart pan with removable bottom. Trim edges.
- Place blanched asparagus, 1/3 cup cheese, and parsley in crust.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, half-and-half, salt, cayenne, and nutmeg. Pour into crust.
- Arrange the 2" asparagus tips over egg mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Place pan on a baking sheet and place in oven. Bake at 400* F for 25-30 minutes or until knife tip inserted near center comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.