Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Always very well received. =) I usually only use a little over 2/3 of the bread crumb mixture, but that just depends on your taste. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! :-)
- 1 -1 1⁄4 lb portabella mushroom (4 large)
- 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh asparagus, cut (about 5 ounces spears)
- 1⁄3 cup shallots or 1⁄3 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large roma tomato, diced (1/2 cup)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb (Italian or multi-grain)
- 1⁄4 cup romano cheese or 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- parsley flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Gently gut gills from mushroom caps with a spoon and cut off stems; rinse each cap thoroughly under cold water and pat tops dry with paper towel. Coarsely chop stems and set aside. Brush 2 teaspoons of the oil over mushroom caps; place oiled sides down on a 15"x10" jelly roll pan or baking sheet.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add asparagus, shallots, garlic and chopped mushroom stems. Cook 5 to 6 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in tomato, salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into mushroom caps. Combine bread crumbs and cheese; sprinkle evenly over mushrooms. Sprinkle parsley flakes and a bit of olive oil over bread crumbs. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until hot and crumbs are golden brown.
This was absolutely fantastic! I omitted the tomato and the cheese I used was an Italian blend of cheeses...I cut down the amt of bread crumbs and layered bread crumbs and cheese and finished with a drizzle of olive oil. I will be making this again REAL soon!
I had one portabella mushroom cap and some fresh asparagus in the frig and needed a quick dinner for one. This was perfect and very tasty! I would recommend drizzling olive oil over the top before cooking to moisten the bread crumbs (I didn't do this, and mine were dry).
very good. I didn't actually measure anything cause i was only cooking 2 mushroom caps for just me. But I used dry bread crumbs and added some shredded mozzarella cheese on top.