Recipe by Feast Your Eyes!
One taste and you won't be able to resist saying: "C'est magnifique!" Chicken breasts are stuffed with fresh asparagus, wrapped in ham and swiss cheese, and topped off with bread stuffing and a creamy-wine sauce. While it may taste like you cooked it all day, this delicious chicken with its' "french flair" takes only about 1 hour to prepare.
Top Review by hungryone
This is so tasty. I didn't have any seasoned bread crumbs,so I just poured the remainder of the butter mixture over the chicken breasts in the baking dish then put the stuffing all around. The stuffing mixed with the butter sauce for a fabulous flavor. I liked it without the white wine sauce, but my husband loved the sauce.
- 6 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 18 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 (6 ounce) package seasoned stuffing mix (Stove Top )
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄8 tespoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 6 slices deli smoked ham, sliced thin
- 6 slices of deli aged-swiss cheese, sliced thin
- 1 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
White Wine Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, chopped finely
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes (rub between fingers to waken flavor)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Place between 2 pieces of waxed paper; pound with the flat side of a wooden mallet to about 1/4-inch thickness. (Cook's Tip: Meat should be thin, but be careful not to tear.).
- Snap off tough bottoms of asparagus. Place in boiling water and cover for 1 minute. Shock in cold water, drain and pat dry. Set aside.
- Prepare stuffing mix as directed on package; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the salt, pepper, butter, mustard, garlic and wine. Lay out the chicken breasts, brush the inside of each chicken breast with the melted butter mixture.
- Place 3 asparagus spears on the buttered side of the chicken breast (arrange so that the asparagus tips peek out when the chicken breast is rolled up), and 1 slice each of ham and swiss cheese. Starting from the narrow end, roll each chicken breast up tightly to enclose the filling. (If necessary, secure with toothpicks.)
- Brush outside of each chicken breast with the remaining butter mixture and then roll in bread crumbs. Place the rolls in a 13x9-inch greased baking dish, seam side down, and top with the prepared stuffing.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until the chicken is browned and juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce that will accompany this delicious dish.
- White Wine Sauce:.
- Over low heat, melt the butter in a medium-size saucepan, add the shallots; cook 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cream, wine, flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, and parsley. Stir all together bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the sauce is thickened. (Makes about 1 1/2 cups).