Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found this in our local newspaper, haven't tried it yet tho.
- 2 lbs thin fresh asparagus, use only thin asparagus, as dough will break if too thick, when folding (about 2 bundles)
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter, divided (or more)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 12 ounces whole mushrooms, cleaned, sliced
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 2 ounces slivered almonds, toasted, divided
- 4 sheets phyllo dough, thawed (#10 xtra thick)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Break off tough, woody ends of asparagus.
- Cut stalks of 1 bunch into bite size pieces.
- Leave remaining stalks whole.
- Put veggie in shallow, microwavable dish.
- Cover, cook 2 minutes on high.
- Set aside.
- Melt3/4 Celsius butter in large skillet.
- Take from heat, add spices, mushrooms.
- Stir, return to stove, saute til mushrooms begin to give off their juices for about 30 secs.
- Add onions, saute 30-40 secs.
- Add lemon juice, asparagus.
- Reserve 2 Tbl. almonds for garnish, add remainder to to skillet w/herbs, veggies.
- Mix, cook on very low heat til just comes to a bubble.
- Take off heat, wait 5 minutes then taste for seasoning.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 1/2 of remaining butter (melt more as needed)for brushing dough).
- Line large baking pan w/foil, brush w/butter.
- Put 2 sheets on work area, brush w/butter, covering surface.
- Put 2 more sheets atop the buttered ones.
- (wrap remaining dough in original container, then in saran.).
- Refreeze if wanted.
- Scoop filling onto dough along 1 side, leaving 2 to 3" border on side, top, bottom.
- Begin foldingdough over filling, thenturn in the short sides as you go, to encase the filling.
- When streudel is rolled, carefully transfer to pan, seam down.
- Pour generous amt. butter atop dough.
- Put pan in middle rack, bake about 20 minutes or dough turns color, slightly.
- Take from oven, baste well w/butter from pan or from reserved.
- Mix some of the reserved nuts w/melted butter, sprinkle atop dough.
- Return to oven, bake 10 more minutes.
- When nuts are browned, streudel is done.
- Watch carefully so nuts don't burn. Put on cooling rack, baste a few more times.
- Let rest a few minutes.
- Lftovers may be cooled, then wrapped in saran, refrigerated, then heated in microwave.