On my must-try list for spring asparagus.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1/2 lb) package frozen asparagus
- 4 sheets phyllo dough, cut in half creating 8 smaller sheets
- 1/2 cup butter, melted (you won't need it all)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (seasoned ok)
- 1/4 cup good quality parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2In a small saute pan, melt the butter, add the garlic and onions and crumbled pepper, about 3 minutes.
- 3Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm and liquid.
- 4Using parchment facilitates rolling the strudel.
- 5Work on parchment to moisten your phyllo and ultimately, you can transfer the parchment to a jellyroll pan.
- 6Lay out one sheet of phyllo, and be sure to cover the rest with a damp well-wrung out tea towel.
- 7Use the butter to brush on the phyllo dough (bits of the onion and garlic can be included). Sprinkle with bread crumbs in every other layer of phyllo. Continue brushing all sheets with butter, stacking them and crumbing every other layer. Reserve a bit of the cheese and bread crumbs to sprinkle on the completed strudel.
- 8Toss the asparagus into the pan with the butter just to pick up some flavor. Take the asparagus and divide in 2 even batches. Lay batches end to end in the lower third of the phyllo square. A border of about 1 1/2-2" should remain on either side of the asparagus.
- 9Begin rolling the strudel by first folding the borders over the ends of the bunches. This will create a "closed" end to your strudel. Brush the borders with butter to ensure they don't break and to seal them. Carefully roll the strudel, making sure the ends stay closed. Be careful not to tear the phyllo.
- 10Brush the strudel with butter and sprinkle with cheese and bread crumbs.
- 11Transfer the completed strudel to a jellyroll pan with the parchment paper.
- 12Bake for about 15 minutes or until browned.
- 13Regarding asparagus -- If they are in season and you'd like to use fresh, you can roast or saute them. Make sure they are cooled before proceeding with assembly.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asparagus Strudel
Serving Size: 1 (495 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1327.2
- Calories from Fat 951
- Total Fat 105.7 g
- Saturated Fat 64.2 g
- Cholesterol 266.0 mg
- Sodium 1620.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 27.4 g