Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A very colorful and different salad. Cooking time includes refrigeration time.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 3⁄4 teaspoon grated onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- Shake together first 8 ingredients until sugar is dissolved.
- Add oil.
- Cover and refrigerate at least one hour.
- Blanch asparagus for 3- 5 minutes, drain, immediately rinsing with cold water to stop it from cooking further, refrigerate 1 hour.
- Just before serving, combine strawberries, asparagus, dressing and sprinkle with blue cheese.
This is a wonderful salad. The sweetness of the poppy seed dressing and fresh berries really makes a winning combination. The ingredients were prepared and chilled in the refrigerator while the rest of dinner was cooking. Not having the blue cheese, I substituted feta with great success. This would be a wonderful salad for summer cookouts.
A very pretty salad with such different flavors! I reduced this down for 1 person and enjoyed it! Thank you Nimz!
My DH is very anit-strawberries in salads, so I made this using halved grape tomatoes instead--and it was still great!!! Wonderful dressing and great flavor combination! (My other substitute was to use a couple of dashes of onion powder in place of the grated onion.) This is definitely a keeper and would be great for a potluck! Thank you!!!