Top Review by DreamoBway
Unfortunately, this recipe did not work for me. I cooked it for two full hours (over double the called for time) and it still wasn't set. I believe the 1:1 ratio of milk to eggs is inaccurate. It smelled good while it was cooking so I was disappointed when it didn't turn out. Well, it's back to the drawing board for me and stratas. Thank you for posting.
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 4 slices 1 oz. each baby swiss cheese
- 8 slices dense white bread, thin slices
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 4 slices of bread, with crusts removed, into greased 8" X 8" X 2" pan.
- Put slice of cheese on each piece of bread, then place asparagus evenly on top of cheese.
- Top each with another slice of bread.
- Mix egg, milk, salt, pepper, and mustard and pour over bread.
- Let refrigerate overnight.
- Sprinkle top with additional grated cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until custard is set (knife comes out clean when inserted).
- As a variation, use ham slices instead of asparagus and top with corn flakes and 4T melted butter.