Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This makes a very good brunch dish. It needs to be refrigerated overnight before baking. The recipe comes from a TV station.
- 1 loaf sourdough bread, thinly sliced with crust removed (16-ounce)
- 1 lb asparagus, blanched and slivered
- 3⁄4 lb Fontina cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sun-dried tomato packed in oil, drained,sliced or chopped
- 3 tablespoons dried chives
- 1 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- Grease the bottom of a large casserole dish (13X9 works well).
- Place a single layer of bread in the pan, using 1/2 the bread.
- Cover with 1/2 asparagus, cheese, tomatoes, chives and pine nuts.
- Repeat layers, starting with bread.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pour evenly over layers.
- Cover and Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove cover and bake for 1 hour until puffy and brown or internal temperature reaches 145 degrees.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Thank you for a delicious, make-ahead recipe. I will definitely be serving this for company. I roasted my asparagus. Next time, I'll probably add a little red onion, (but I'll add a little red onion to about anything!) Thanks again!
Oh WOW!!! This was our dinner last night and it was soooo good. I cooked the asparagus and cut it into 1-inch pieces. That worked fine. This dish is what I consider to be comfort food but with a few unique ingredients. I loved the pine nuts. Making it the night before certainly made getting dinner ready a snap. Thanks Barb Gertz.
This is a fantastic recipe! I served it with a tossed spinach, salad and it was a hit with everyone. Thanks for sharing your recipe with all of us