1 hr 20 mins
Barb Gertz's Note:
This makes a very good brunch dish. It needs to be refrigerated overnight before baking. The recipe comes from a TV station.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 loaf sourdough bread, thinly sliced with crust removed (16-ounce)
- 1 lb asparagus, blanched and slivered
- 3/4 lb Fontina cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomato packed in oil, drained,sliced or chopped
- 3 tablespoons dried chives
- 1 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1Grease the bottom of a large casserole dish (13X9 works well).
- 2Place a single layer of bread in the pan, using 1/2 the bread.
- 3Cover with 1/2 asparagus, cheese, tomatoes, chives and pine nuts.
- 4Repeat layers, starting with bread.
- 5In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, garlic, salt and pepper.
- 6Pour evenly over layers.
- 7Cover and Refrigerate overnight.
- 8Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 9Remove cover and bake for 1 hour until puffy and brown or internal temperature reaches 145 degrees.
- 10Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asparagus Strata
Serving Size: 1 (334 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 739.3
- Calories from Fat 356
- Total Fat 39.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 379.3 mg
- Sodium 1101.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 35.8 g