Prep 2 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a simple and delicious way to prepare and serve asparagus. Recipe from Tyler's Ultimate, by Tyler Florence.
- 1 lb medium asparagus, trimmed
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lemon, very thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° with rack placed in the center position.
- Place asparagus in a brown paper bag large enough to hold the asparagus comfortably.
- Drizzle with oil to prevent the bag from burning.
- Add the lemon slices and bay leaf; season with salt and pepper.
- Close the bag by folding it over several times and creasing the folds well to retain the steam in the bag.
- Place bag on a baking sheet, and drizzle with more olive oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Shake bag a few times before carefully opening; transfer asparagus to platter.
- Drizzle with more oil; serve immediately.
This was a lovely, easy way to make, basically, steamed asparagus. I don't have paper bags around the house, so I used parchment paper folded up around the stalks to trap the steam. As a technique, steam/roasting asparagus in the oven is my new favorite thing: foolproof, hands off, and very little clean up! The lemon and bay work very well with the asparagus. Lemon is common, but the bay leaves were new to me, and they're subtle but noticeable. The second time I made this recipe, I used one shallot slicely thinly into rings as well, which I thought further improved the flavor.
Lovely tasty asparagus! I was taken with the method and had to try it. Really very easy and perfectly cooked. loved the lemon and bay leaf flavours and it stayed crisp. thanks for posting, I will do it again.