Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
An impressive starter to serve to dinner guests that is quick and easy and can be prepared ahead.
- 1 (16 ounce) can asparagus, cut into approx 2 inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 pinch salt
- coarsley ground black pepper or cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 ounce potato crisps, preferably cheese and onion flavour, crushed
- Drain asparagus cuts and retain liquid.
- Make a white sauce with the butter, flour, seasoning and reserved asparagus juice.
- Add half the cheese into the sauce and melt.
- Cool slightly and add the cream.
- Place the drained asparagus cuts onto individual serving dishes (those scalloped shaped little serving dishes make an impressive show).
- Spoon over sauce and sprinkle with remainder of cheese and crushed potato crisps.
- Bake at 350F for approximately 10 minutes.
- NOTE: To enjoy the company of your guests, prepare ahead up to "baking" point.