Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
An impressive starter to serve to dinner guests that is quick and easy and can be prepared ahead.
Make and share this Asparagus Starter recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (16 ounce) can asparagus, cut into approx 2 inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 pinch salt
- coarsley ground black pepper or cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 ounce potato crisps, preferably cheese and onion flavour, crushed
- Drain asparagus cuts and retain liquid.
- Make a white sauce with the butter, flour, seasoning and reserved asparagus juice.
- Add half the cheese into the sauce and melt.
- Cool slightly and add the cream.
- Place the drained asparagus cuts onto individual serving dishes (those scalloped shaped little serving dishes make an impressive show).
- Spoon over sauce and sprinkle with remainder of cheese and crushed potato crisps.
- Bake at 350F for approximately 10 minutes.
- NOTE: To enjoy the company of your guests, prepare ahead up to "baking" point.