Recipe by Pianolady
This is a lovely asparagus recipe found in "From Julia Child's Kitchen", also known as Asperges Etuvees a la Creme. Note that this calls for fat asparagus -- reasonably fat asparagus is more flavorful and tender than the thinner asparagus. Who knew? I hope you enjoy!
- 24 fresh fat peeled asparagus spears
- 2 tablespoons shallots or 2 tablespoons scallions, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 cup creme fraiche or 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 dash lemon juice, if needed
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced,to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the asparagus spears until barely tender.
- Mince the shallots (or scallions), and the parsley.
- Leave the asparagus spears whole, or cut them into 3/4" lengths, depending on your menu.
- Choose a frying pan that will hold the asparagus easily.
- Cook the shallots or scallions in butter for 2 minutes without browning.
- Add the asparagus, salt and pepper lightly, and toss (or turn) in the butter and seasoning.
- Add the cream and simmer slowly, basting the asparagus frequently, until the cream has reduced and thickened-- about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Taste carefully for seasoning, adding drops of lemon juice if and as you think they are necessary.
- (If done in advance, simmer only a few minutes with the cream and finish just before serving).
- Fold the minced parsley into the sauce, baste the asparagus to enrobe it, and turn out onto a hot platter.