Recipe by Lalaloula
These savoury muffins have a delicate taste of fresh green asparagus paired with black pepper and sour cream. I've made these for my daddy's birthday and thought they were great! Very unusual for a muffin, but very tasty! I hope you'll like them, too.
- 280 g flour (2 1/4 cups)
- 7 tablespoons oil (I used sunflower)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper (more if you like)
- 2 large eggs
- 250 g sour cream (1 cup)
- 225 g fresh green asparagus (trimmed and cleaned, ca. 11 stalks)
- 40 g grated cheese, such as gouda (1/3 cup) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss asparagus with 1 tbs of the oil in a baking dish. Roast in the oven at 200°C/400°F for about 10 minutes. Let cool slightly, then cut asparagus into pieces (the lenth of half a finger should be just fine).
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a big bowl. Make a well in the centre.
- In a second bowl beat eggs lightly. Add sour cream and remaining oil. Pour into the well and mix until dry ingredients are just moistened (make sure not to overmix).
- Fold in asparagus.
- Fill dough into prepared muffin tins (well greased or paper-lined). If you like sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 200°C/400°F for 20 minutes or until slightly browned and tester comes out clean.