Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
"The soup can be made up to 3 days ahead. Reheat, or serve chilled." - From Woman's Day, June 20 2006.
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup coarsely chopped sweet onion
- 1 small potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bunch asparagus, about 1 lb, tough ends trimmed and spears cut in half
- 2 slices flat bread or 2 slices pocketless pitas
- 1⁄4 cup light spreadable cheese with garlic and herbs
- 8 slices dei-thin sliced smoked turkey
- 3 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup basil leaves
- Heat oven to 425*. Have a baking sheet ready.
- For the soup: Bring all ingredients except asparagus to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the potato is almost tender. Add asparagus; cook 5 minutes until asparagus and potato are tender. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- For the tarts: Place flat breads on the baking sheet. Bake 7 minutes, or until slightly crisp. Remove from oven; spread each with 2 tbsp cheese spread. Top each with 4 slices of turkey, folded to fit, and 1/2 the sliced tomato, onion and basil. Cut each into 4 wedges.
- Puree soup in a blender until smooth. Accompany each serving with 2 tart wedges.