from an old issue of gourmet, this soup is a light first course for any meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2-5 cups vegetable broth or 4 1/2-5 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron thread
- 1/3 cup shelled natural pistachios or 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 3 1/2 lbs asparagus (about 3 large bunches)
- 1 large russet potato (baking)
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1In a small saucepan bring 1/2 cup broth to a boil and remove pan from heat.
- 2Stir saffron into hot broth and steep, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
- 3In a dry heavy skillet toast nuts over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant. remove.
- 4Chop nuts.
- 5Trim asparagus and cut into 2-inch pieces, reserving tips separately.
- 6Have ready a large bowl of ice and cold water.
- 7In a large saucepan of boiling salted water blanch tips 2 minutes, or until crisp-tender, and transfer with a slotted spoon to ice water to stop cooking.
- 8Drain tips well and pat dry.
- 9Peel potato and cut enough into 1/2-inch cubes to measure 1 1/2 cups.
- 10In a 4-quart kettle cook asparagus stalks in margarine over moderate heat, stirring, 3 minutes.
- 11Stir in potato, saffron infusion, and 4 cups broth and simmer, covered, until vegetables are very tender but not falling apart, about 20 minutes.
- 12In a blender purée mixture in batches until smooth (or use an immersion blender).
- 13In kettle stir together purée and enough of remaining broth to reach desired consistency.
- 14Add half of asparagus tips and bring soup to a simmer.
- 15While soup is heating, chop parsley.
- 16Season soup with pepper and salt.
- 17Ladle soup into bowls and top with remaining asparagus tips, nuts, and parsley.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for asparagus soup
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 213.1
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 132.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 9.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: