Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Way better than the stuff in a can!
- 4 cups fresh asparagus, washed, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup water
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup green onions, finely diced or 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup water (plus cooking liquid)
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granule
- Cook asparagus in 1 cup water until tender-crisp. Drain reserving liquid. Saute onion in butter until transparent. Stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for one minute. Gradually stir in milk, 1 cup water, reserved liquid and bouillon granules. Cook, stirring with wire whisk, until mixture is thickened and hot. Stir in asparagus. Heat through and serve.