Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A specialty of Shandong province, this dish is traditionally reserved for banquets because asparagus is so expensive in China. But here in the United States, when the price comes down in summer, take advantage of this flavorful dish. Saveur Magazine, August/September 2008 We made a version of this but as it was it would have been way too spicy for our residents.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add asparagus to pot and cook until tender-crisp and bright green, 1 1/2–2 minutes.
- DO NOT OVERCOOK!.
- Drain, then immediately plunge into a large bowl of ice water; set aside to cool, 2–3 minutes.
- Drain again, then transfer to paper towels, pat dry, and set aside.
- Whisk together soy sauce, sesame oil, and chile oil in a medium bowl.
- Add asparagus and toss.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with sesame seeds.