Recipe by BurtonFanatic
This tasty side dish is an easy way to get in a serving of veggies. From SparkPeople.com For vegetarians, sub veggie broth for chicken broth. Calories: 90 Fat: 4 g Carbohydrates: 11 g Protein: 5.5
Top Review by TooAllergic
This is dynamite! Be sure and serve this with rice/bread to grab every last bit of the dressing. The flavor of the soy is very subtle and the lemon and black pepper are so bright (though we did not use a full tsp of the black pepper). Thanks for a great and easy side!!!!
- 1 1⁄4 lbs asparagus, cut diagonally into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 10 scallions, trimmed with some green
- 1 scallion, chopped and set aside
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam asparagus and scallions in a steam basket over boiling water for 5 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Remove from heat and rinse with cold water in a colander to stop the cooking. Drain and let cool.
- Make the vinaigrette: In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add ginger and cook until it begins to brown. Add the reserved chopped scallion and cook for 15 seconds. Stir in the chicken broth, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss steamed asparagus and scallions with the vinaigrette. Add ground pepper and lemon juice then serve.