Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 min
Make sure you snap off the tough part of the stalk before cutting the asparagus. I use white balsamic for this, and also use the dressing on grilled asparagus stalks. Sunflower seeds, pepitas, pecans or other chopped nuts can be substituted for the walnuts. From "Diabetes Cooking for Everyone", by Carol Gelles. Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
- 473.18 ml asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 118.29 ml thinly sliced oranges or 118.29 ml red bell pepper
- 29.58 ml chopped walnuts
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 9.85 ml red wine vinegar
- 9.85 ml balsamic vinegar
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 4.92 ml orange juice
- 4.92 ml Dijon mustard
- 0.59 ml grated orange rind
- 1 garlic clove, minced (grating is easier)
- Wrap the asparagus in wet paper towels, then microwave on high 1 to 2 minutes or until bright green. Cool.
- In a medium bowl combine the asparagus, pepper, walnuts, and parsley.
- In a small bowl whisk together the vinegars and remaining ingredients. Pour over salad and toss to combine.