Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 min
Make sure you snap off the tough part of the stalk before cutting the asparagus. I use white balsamic for this, and also use the dressing on grilled asparagus stalks. Sunflower seeds, pepitas, pecans or other chopped nuts can be substituted for the walnuts. From "Diabetes Cooking for Everyone", by Carol Gelles. Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
- 2 cups asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced oranges or 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 garlic clove, minced (grating is easier)
- Wrap the asparagus in wet paper towels, then microwave on high 1 to 2 minutes or until bright green. Cool.
- In a medium bowl combine the asparagus, pepper, walnuts, and parsley.
- In a small bowl whisk together the vinegars and remaining ingredients. Pour over salad and toss to combine.