Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
So good I can't even describe it! Super easy to prepare in spite of my detailed directions.
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 59.14 ml onion, finely chopped
- 2.46 ml red pepper flakes
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 9.85 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml chicken broth or 14.79 ml vegetable broth
- 4.92 ml olive oil
- 0.25 ml salt
- 2 small flour tortillas
- 8 trimmed asparagus spears
- 354.88 ml monterey jack pepper cheese
- 29.58 ml sour cream
- Heat olive oil in a small saute pan over low heat; Add the jalapeños, garlic, onion, and red pepper and saute until garlic just begins to brown.
- Dissolve sugar in lemon juice then add the juice and broth to pan and mix thoroughly.
- Add salt and reduce heat to simmer for at least 15 minutes, or until mixture darkens and thickens, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, microwave asparagus for 2 minutes (half that time for thin stalks), then plunge immediately into cold water; Asparagus should not be completely cooked at this point.
- Set aside a handful of cheese and divide the remainder between the two tortillas, spreading evenly over the surface.
- Microwave one cheese covered tortilla at a time for 30 seconds; As soon as a tortilla comes out, stack two asparagus spears on one end, and two more on top of them.
- Roll the tortilla firmly, so the spears are sticking out a little at top and bottom.
- Just before serving, put the remaining cheese on top of the rolls and return them to the micro for 30 seconds each.
- Serve with dollop of sour cream and a small amount of chutney.
- Put lemon zest on top of chutney for color.
- Great served with Spanish Rice.
Yes this is very easy! I used 4 small tortillas withh 3 asparagus in each. This was lemony and sweet. Not to spicy. Different! I did enjoy this but then just look at the ingredients who wouldn`t! Thanks.