Recipe by Derf
My daughter in law served this for Mother's Day dinner, it was delicious! She used the wine and served it with a brown rice pilaf and pickled beets, colorful and wonderful dinner!
- 2 lbs asparagus, woody ends snapped off
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, unrolled, visible fat cut off (about 3 1/2 lbs)
- 4 ounces garlic and herb goat cheese, roll cut crosswise in 8 rounds
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (10 1/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup dry madeira wine or 1⁄4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes (onion soup will do)
- 1⁄4 cup dried Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil.
- Have a 13x9 baking dish ready.
- Boil asparagus 2 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Drain in a colander, cool under cold running water, drain well, pat dry.
- Sauce: Heat oil in a large nonstick frypan over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms, saute 4 to 5 minutes until barely browned.
- In a large bowl, whisk remaining sauce ingredients until blended, stir in mushrooms.
- Reserve 1 cup, pour rest into the baking dish.
- Place unrolled thighs boned side up.
- Top each with a cheese round, then 3 or 4 asparagus.
- Roll up, place seam side down on sauce.
- Spoon reserved 1 cup sauce over chicken.
- Cover tightly with foil, refrigerate up to one day.
- To serve: Heat oven to 350°F.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
- Meanwhile mix crumb topping ingredients.
- Sprinkle crumbs over chicken, bake uncovered 5 to 10 minutes until crumbs are lightly browned.