Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 mins
A delicious appetizer that is also excellent at any party. I have been making the asparagus roll-ups for many years and most everyone just loves them.
- 1 lb fresh asparagus (younger, thin asparagus)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 slices white bread
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise (Kraft Miracle Whip preferred)
- Snap off tough ends of asparagus and discard.
- In a micro-wave proof casserole dish, place asparagus in a single layer, with spears facing the centre.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water and microwave on HIGH (full power) for 4 minutes turning once at half time; DO NOT OVERCOOK.
- Remove from microwave, drain and immediately pour cold water over asparagus and place a few ice cubes to cool and stop any further cooking.
- Drain well and pat dry with paper towelling before using.
- Cut off the crust from the bread slices and discard.
- Using a roller, carefully roll each slice to flatten to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Spread butter on one side on each piece of flattened bread.
- Then spread some mayonnaise over the butter.
- Place 3 asparagus spears to one side of the flattened bread (facing opposite direcions to each other).
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully roll bread/asparagus.
- Cut each roll to about 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Place on a platter and serve.
- Refrigerate any unused portions.
I don't want to rate this since I haven't followed this exact recipe but I can say this is pretty much how we do our asparagus roll-ups, except we used to buy canned asparagus because the fresh often wasn't available. I bet it's even better with the real thing!