Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A nice spring risotto dish. Wonderful mix of flavours. Be sure to use young asparagus. From Food and Drink Magazine Spring 1999.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 3⁄4 cup sliced shiitake mushroom
- 4 teaspoons roasted garlic
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 5 -6 cups vegetable stock or 5 -6 cups chicken stock, heated
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup asiago cheese
- 2 teaspoons grated lemons, zest of
- 3⁄4 cup young tender asparagus, sliced in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped chives
- fresh ground pepper
- chopped chives
- shaved parmesan cheese
- Melt 3 Tbsp butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add shallots and cook until soft, but not brown.
- Stir in rice and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally until liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, wine and 1/2 cup of hot stock and cook, stirring constantly, until the liquid is absorbed.
- Continue adding small amounts of stock and cook in this manner, stirring constantly, until the rice is creamy, yet the kernels are firm at the centre, about 18 minutes.
- When done, stir in remaining butter, cheese, lemon zest, asparagus and chives.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in warm bowls, sprinked with garnish.
- (To roast the garlic, cut off top of bulb, revealing tops of cloves inside. Drizzle with olive oil, season lightly. Seal bulb in foil and roast in 350 oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until garlic is soft when squeezed.).
OMG we just finished this. I had my 10yo DS do the stirring and adding of broth. I used onions, not shallots and no mushrooms. It was awesome - I would give you 10 stars if I could. A definite keeper.
Good recipe! I was just hoping for a little extra burst of flavor. I'll make it again though.