Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is an adoptee from the RecipeZaar account, and I haven't tried it yet. I will repost here when I have tried the recipe. I won't change the recipe itself, though! Recipe By :Michael Chiarello
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 bunch asparagus, about 1 pound
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely grated Fontina cheese
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- Pour the stock into a saucepan, place over high heat, and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, snap off the ends from the asparagus and peel any tough skin from the stalks.
- Add the asparagus ends to the stock, reduce the heat to low, and simmer gently until the stems are tender, about 7 minutes.
- Dip out and discard the stems.
- Slice the spears 1/4 inch thick on the diagonal.
- Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Scatter in the mushrooms and do not move them until they begin to brown, about 1 minute.
- Then season with salt and pepper, and sauté until brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove to a plate.
- Lower the heat to medium, add the onion, season lightly with salt, and cook until soft but not brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook briefly.
- Add the rice and stir until the grains look pearly white, about 2 minutes.
- Add the wine, if using, and cook until the pan is nearly dry.
- Adjust the heat so the rice cooks at a slow simmer.
- Add 1/2 cup of the stock, stir, and cook until the pan is nearly dry again.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper now so the flavor permeates the rice.
- Add another 1/2 cup of the stock and continue to stir and cook, adding stock as necessary, until the rice is three-fourths cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the thyme, mushrooms, and sliced asparagus tips.
- Continue to cook until the rice is al dente and the asparagus is bright green and just tender, about 4 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, Fontina cheese, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, the parsley and the lemon zest, if using.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Dust with Parmesan before serving.
- Pass more cheese at the table.
Excellent. I did not add wine, so just used a little extra chicken stock. Also, I did not have any fresh shiitakes, so I used half fresh button mushrooms and half dried shiitake which I reconstituted in the simmering chicken stock. The lemon zest is a nice touch. One warning - do not add much salt before adding the cheese - I oversalted slightly as I forgot how much salt is in cheese (and there was not even any salt in the chicken stock.) I held out the asparagus tips until the end so I could use them as a garnish. Very yummy.
Omigosh, Mr. Mean Chef, I'm sorry to report that nobody liked it. The consistency was good. The color was excellent. It simply didn't appeal. Do you suppose the fault lies with my culinary skills or with their tastebuds? :(
you're the daddy faultless