A deliciously creamy risotto highlighting the first spring asparagus, the pine nuts give a great crunch.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 5 cups vegetable broth (approximately)
- more water or broth, as needed
- On medium heat, add butter and olive oil to pan and swirl until entire pot is coated.
- At the same time, bring broth to a simmer in a separate pot.
- Add onion and stir; sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped rosemary, Italian parsley, and pine nuts.
- Sauté for 3 more minutes.
- Add garlic and rice and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Be sure not to let the garlic brown.
- Add the wine and cook until absorbed, about 30 seconds.
- Add ¾ of the simmering broth and stir.
- Watch over rice carefully.
- When most liquid has been absorbed, add the rest of the broth.
- Simmer the rice for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- (NOTE: If the rice begins to stick to the bottom of your pan, add more water, 1/2 cup at a time until absorbed. You need to add more water if no liquid is visible in the pan, 1/2 cup water until absorbed.) Meanwhile, wash, trim asparagus and discard ends.
- Cut off asparagus tips.
- Chop remaining asparagus stalks into bite sized pieces.
- Add ½ of the stalks and stir, continue simmering for another 5 minutes, adding more water if needed.
- Add asparagus tips and continue stirring often, adding more liquid as needed, cooking until rice is tender and mixture is creamy; about 8-10 more minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and cream and stir.
- When blended, remove from heat.
- Serve with salt, pepper and additional Parmesan to taste.