Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I have recently moved to England’s Asparagus growing capital and I can’t wait for the new season when I can over indulge in this deliciously light risotto
- 2 (500 g) bundles asparagus
- 22.18 ml olive oil
- 709.78 ml chicken or 709.78 ml vegetable stock
- 3 shallots or 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 255.14 g risotto rice
- 4 fluid ounce white wine
- 1 few lemon thyme leaves
- 28.34 g butter
- 85.04 g parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve
- Snap the woody ends off the asparagus about 2cm (1in) up. Place on to a
- roasting tray, drizzle with 2 teaspoons of the olive oil and roast for 8 minutes until lightly charred.
- Heat the stock in a large saucepan and leave on a gentle simmer. In another large pan, preferably with shallow sides, heat the rest of the oil and sauté the shallots and garlic until softened but not coloured.
- Stir in the rice. When the rice begins to 'hiss' add the wine and a ladleful of stock, stir well until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Continue adding the liquid at intervals for 15 minutes, then add the asparagus and thyme and mix well.
- Cook for a further 3-5 minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender but still firm.
- Add the last ladleful of stock, the butter and Parmesan.
- Season, stir well, add extra Parmesan, a sprinkle of thyme leaves and a grind of black pepper.
- Serve immediately.