Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Creamy risotto is comfort food whether it's a side dish or a main dish. I love it!
- 566.99 g asparagus, trimmed
- 473.18 ml reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 354.88 ml chopped onions
- 354.88 ml arborio rice
- 59.14 ml freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 29.58 ml butter
- 59.14 ml shaved parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan bring at least 5 cups salted water to a boil and add the asparagus.
- Cook 4 minutes.
- Drain, reserving 3+1/2 cups cooking liquid.
- Place asparagus in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Drain and cut the tips off the asparagus.
- Cut the stalks into 1/4 inch rounds.
- Keep tips and stalks separate.
- Place chicken broth and reserved cooking liquid in a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute 5 minutes.
- Add rice and continue sauteing 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add 3/4 c hot liquid and simmer, stirring frequently, until is absorbed.
- Add asparagus rounds and 3/4 cup hot liquid.
- Simmer, stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed.
- Continue adding hot liquid, 3/4 cup at a time, simmering and stirring frequently, until rice is cooked and liquid has been absorbed.
- Mix in the reserved asparagus tips, butter and grated cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place into serving bowls and top with shaved Parmesan.
This was my first time making risotto. My son in law loves it however my daughter is vegetarian so she will not order it out. Because of this I did substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth when I made this. I had never had it before but they said it was so good, I also liked it but had nothing to compare it to,what an easy first time risotto recipe to try.
I was getting ready to post the recipe I just made, but this is almost exactly the same so no need to post my own. The only differences between this recipe and my recipe was that I used 4 tbsp butter and no olive oil, and I used Pecorino Romano instead of Parmesan. Goes well with veal, pork, or beef.
Oh my gosh...I can assure you that I am not a freak but I have never had risotto before and I love it! I followed the recipe perfectly and made no changes. It is perfect!! Thank you so much for posting!!