Recipe by Normaone
Creamy risotto is comfort food whether it's a side dish or a main dish. I love it!
Top Review by DPar
This was my first time making risotto. My son in law loves it however my daughter is vegetarian so she will not order it out. Because of this I did substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth when I made this. I had never had it before but they said it was so good, I also liked it but had nothing to compare it to,what an easy first time risotto recipe to try.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs asparagus, trimmed
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup shaved parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan bring at least 5 cups salted water to a boil and add the asparagus.
- Cook 4 minutes.
- Drain, reserving 3+1/2 cups cooking liquid.
- Place asparagus in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Drain and cut the tips off the asparagus.
- Cut the stalks into 1/4 inch rounds.
- Keep tips and stalks separate.
- Place chicken broth and reserved cooking liquid in a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute 5 minutes.
- Add rice and continue sauteing 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add 3/4 c hot liquid and simmer, stirring frequently, until is absorbed.
- Add asparagus rounds and 3/4 cup hot liquid.
- Simmer, stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed.
- Continue adding hot liquid, 3/4 cup at a time, simmering and stirring frequently, until rice is cooked and liquid has been absorbed.
- Mix in the reserved asparagus tips, butter and grated cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place into serving bowls and top with shaved Parmesan.