This was one of my dad's recipes. You can always freeze unused parts of the asparagus for soup or stir frys. This is a quick and easy risotto to make. No fuss no muss you make it in the microwave in one dish. Very, very tasty. I hope you enjoy this dish as much as we do.
- 1 onion, medium, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups arborio rice, italian risotto rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus, fresh
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, ground
- Using a 3 quart dish, combine onion, mushrooms, oil and butter.
- Cover and place in microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice, broth, wine and turmeric.
- Cover again and microwave on high for 15 minutes.
- Cut asparagus into 1 inch pieces.
- Next, stir rice mixture and microwave on high uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Now with a fork toss the asparagus into the rice.
- Cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes more.
- Remove the rice from the microwave and let stand (covered), for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese with fork and season with salt and pepper.