Recipe by Debbwl
Serve with fresh fruit for a nice light lunch. Scoring the phyllo before baking will help keep it from shattering when sliced. As the ham realy is optional it is not hard to make this into a vegetarian dish.
Top Review by swissms
This is very good. I was worried that there might be too many competing flavors but everything combined nicely. I made as directed except substituted prosciutto for the ham. I think I will reduce the breadcrumbs or omit next time. This would make a very nice lunch with fresh fruit as recommended by the chef. I served this as a side dish with our steaks. Made for Every Day is a Holiday.
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 ounce ham, chopped (optional)
- 2 ounces roasted red peppers
- 1 green onion, sliced thin
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus
- 10 sheets phyllo dough
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs, fine crumble
- Pam cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- Combine ricotta cheese, parmesan, dill, ham (if using), roasted pepper, green onion, egg white, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; set aside.
- Snap asparagus. Cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Cook, covered, in a small amount of water for about 5 minutes or just till crisp tender (don't overcook). Drain. Cool under cold water. Stir into ricotta mixture.
- Place one sheet of phyllo on a dry towel (keep remaining phyllo covered with a damp towel). Spray with Pam. Place another sheet of phyllo atop. Spray with Pam. Sprinkle with 1/4 of the bread crumbs. Repeat with remaining sheets and remaining bread crumbs. Spray last layer with Pam. Spoon cheese mixture lenghwise onto half of the top layer of phyllo, leaving about a 1 1/2 inch border on all sides. Fold in the shor sides over the filling. Starting from the longest side, roll up layers jelly roo style.
- Spray a large baking sheet with Pam. Place strudel, seam side down, on baking sheet. Spray with Pam. Using a sharp knife, score into 12 slices, cutting through top layer only. Bake in a 375 oven for 30 minutes or till light brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. To serve, cut into slices.