Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
a change from potato kugel, this is nice when asparagus is in season
- 1 lb asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 lbs potatoes, unpeeled (about 6)
- 4 -6 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- preheat oven to 350.
- boil potatoes in pot and then simmer 20-30 minutes.
- remove and when cool enough to handle peel and mash.
- meanwhile boil asparagus for 3 minutes, drain and rinse with cold water.
- in a saute pan add oil and saute onions until softened.
- add onions and oil to mashed potatoes.
- add asparagus, salt and pepper, add egg, mix well.
- pour into greased baking dish, sprinkle with paprika.
- bake 50 minutes, until lightly browned.
We really enjoyed this kugel, thanks for sharing Chia!! Didn't change a thing, didn't even scale it down for two. We ate about half of it tonight and will finish it off tomorrow,(and probably the next day). I peeled the potatoes first and cut them in small pieces to boil them, then mash them. Was there a reason not to peel? The asparagus and potatoes went well together, but we were surprized that we could hardly taste the onions,we expected a stronger onion taste. I did use two medium. The paprika gave it a nice presentation. We enjoyed it very much but found it a teeny bit dry, DH put margarine on his, I will make it again, it would be a good company dish.
Asparagus is a favored vegetable in my house. This was interesting and a different preparation for me. The only minor alteration I made was to reduce the oil to 3 tablespoons. Tasted wonderful and has that comfort foodish quality. Enjoyed for lunch with a side salad--very nice. Thanks for posting.
My girl friend and I absolutely loved this and we had left overs that were just as good as the freshly cooked. We will definitely be making this again.