Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This quick & easy soup is very light - ideal for lunch or a starter at dinnertime! It comes from The Millcroft Inn's Chef Jason Parsons.
- 2 cups asparagus, trimmed,peeled if thick & cut in pieces
- 1⁄4 cup potato, peeled & diced about 1/2 the size of the asparagus pieces so the cooking time is equal
- 1⁄8 cup shallot, peeled & finely diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, peeled & finely diced
- 2 bunches watercress
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 bunch tarragon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup 35% cream (heavy)
- salt & pepper
- chervil (to garnish) (optional)
- Over medium heat, sweat the shallots and garlic in butter in a pot.
- Once the shallots are translucent add the potato, asparagus and tarragon.
- After a minute, add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Once the asparagus and potatoes are cooked through (timing will depend on size of pieces), puree in a blender and pass through a fine strainer.
- Place back in pot and bring to a boil.
- Since watercress is a little bitter, I suggest you add it gradually- puree& taste.
- Repeat until it suits you.
- Add the cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with chervil.