Recipe by Ms B.
From the May 2008 issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray. This is super easy and makes a quick breakfast, lunch or dinner. She suggests that for a change, you may want to sprinkle cooked bacon into the batter.
Top Review by Kathy228
Absolutely delicious and so easy to make. I made it as posted just added a little extra cheese. I cut the asparagus first, quickly blanched, then iced them. They were the perfect crispness when the dish was baked. Great recipe!
- 1 lb asparagus
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- 3 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium saucepan, add 2 inched of salted water; bring to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Drain and rinse with cold water, then pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut the spears crosswise into thirds.
- In a medium cast-iron skillet, add the butter.
- Place the skillet in the oven to melt the butter.
- In a medium bowl, microwave the milk on high for 30 seconds.
- Whisk in the eggs, then the flour, salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Add the asparagus pieces to the hot cast-iron skillet and pour the batter on top.
- Sprinkle with half of the cheese and bake until puffed and golden-brown, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Top with the remaining cheese.