Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
This recipe is one of many Fantastic sanwiches in "Nancy Silverton's Sandwich Book". Great for brunch or dinner. Paula G has a fast and easy way to poach eggs, please check out her Microwave Poached Eggs.
- 16 -20 large asparagus, stalks tough ends broken off
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 20 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 -4 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 3 ounces fontina or 3 ounces gruyere cheese, cut into four 1/8 inch thick slices
- 2 ounces good-quality prosciutto
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling over the sandwiches
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- To roast the asparagus: Place the asparagus in a large bowl, drizzle the olive oil over it and sprinkle with the salt, tossing to coat.
- Scatter 16 of the thyme sprigs onto a baking sheet and lay the asparagus over them to cover.
- Roast in a preheated 450-degree oven for about 10 minutes, until tender to the touch but firm in the center.
- To grill the bread: Butter each side of each slice.
- In a pan over medium heat, lightly brown each side; remove to a plate and let cool just long enough to handle.
- Rub one side of each slice with the garlic clove, then place on a baking sheet, garlic side up.
- Arrange the asparagus evenly over the bread.
- To poach the eggs: Use Paula G's easy poaching method Recipe #118761, or in a medium saucepan, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to just below a simmer and add the vinegar and salt.
- Crack an egg into a small bowl to check that the yolk isn't broken.
- Slowly stir the water in one direction to create a whirlpool effect.
- Once the whirlpool has slowed a little, carefully slide the egg into the water against the side of the pan, following the current of the water as you pour, so the white envelops the yolk.
- Repeat the process with each egg, poaching them for 2 to 2-1/2 minutes until the whites are set and the yolks are runny.
- Carefully remove them with a slotted spoon to a plate; cup the eggs with your hand and tip the plate to drain off the water.
- To assemble: Center an egg on top of the asparagus on each toast; drape a slice of the cheese over each egg.
- Heat the sandwiches under the broiler just until the cheese melts.
- Remove the sandwiches from the oven, rumple a slice of prosciutto over each, drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with fresh pepper.
- Garnish with the remaining thyme; serve immediately.