Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
I created this salad after perusing some recipes here and using what I had on hand, avoiding anything too sweet. The pickled beets are just the right ouch of sweet & sour. Looks pretty too! The asparagus can be made well in advance. If your onion is too strong, slice and put in an ice water bath for 5 minutes and drain. Cooking time is blanching and ice water bath time.
- 1 lb asparagus, 6 per person
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, for boiling water
- ice water, bath
- 1 small red onion, slivered using as much as you like
- 4 pickled beets, large dice, one per person depending on the size
- 1⁄2 cup blue cheese, crumbled use as much as you like, sub. soft goat cheese
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces champagne vinaigrette, I like store bought Girard's light
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil water for asparagus, add salt.
- Make a ice water bath in a large bowl. You will use to shock the asparagus and halt the cooking.
- Trim tough ends off of asparagus spears, leave whole.
- Place asparagus spears in boiling water. Blanche for 2-3 minutes.
- Quickly remove from hot water and place in ice water bath to shock.
- Prepare onions and pickled beets as suggested.
- Arrange asparagus spears on a platter or individual salad plates.
- Sprinkle and arrange the onion slices, beets and blue cheese.
- Top with a light champagne vinaigrette. I like Girard's brand.