1/1 Photo of Asparagus, Pickled Beets & Blue Cheese Salad
Chicagoland Chef du Jour's Note:
I created this salad after perusing some recipes here and using what I had on hand, avoiding anything too sweet. The pickled beets are just the right ouch of sweet & sour. Looks pretty too! The asparagus can be made well in advance. If your onion is too strong, slice and put in an ice water bath for 5 minutes and drain. Cooking time is blanching and ice water bath time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb asparagus, 6 per person
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, for boiling water
- ice water, bath
- 1 small red onion, slivered using as much as you like
- 4 pickled beets, large dice, one per person depending on the size
- 1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled use as much as you like, sub. soft goat cheese
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces champagne vinaigrette, I like store bought Girard's light
- 1Boil water for asparagus, add salt.
- 2Make a ice water bath in a large bowl. You will use to shock the asparagus and halt the cooking.
- 3Trim tough ends off of asparagus spears, leave whole.
- 4Place asparagus spears in boiling water. Blanche for 2-3 minutes.
- 5Quickly remove from hot water and place in ice water bath to shock.
- 6Prepare onions and pickled beets as suggested.
- 7Arrange asparagus spears on a platter or individual salad plates.
- 8Sprinkle and arrange the onion slices, beets and blue cheese.
- 9Top with a light champagne vinaigrette. I like Girard's brand.
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asparagus, Pickled Beets & Blue Cheese Salad
Serving Size: 1 (148 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 91.5
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 12.6 mg
- Sodium 542.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 6.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: