Prep 0 mins
Cook 8 mins
Asparagus wrapped in phyllo [duh no brainer right?] with a herb sauce.
- 4 sheets phyllo pastry, thawed if frozen
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup vegan margarine
- 16 young asparagus spears, trimmed
- salad leaves (to garnish)
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herb
- fresh ground pepper
- fresh chives, chopped, garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Keep the phyllo you are not working with covered with a damp towel.
- Brush each sheet with the melted butter and fold one corner down to create a wedge shape.
- Lay 4 spears on top of the longest edge and roll toward the shortest edge. Make 3 more rolls with the remaining phyllo.
- Lay the rolls on a greased baking sheet. Brush with remaining butter. Bake for 8 minutes or until the roll is golden.
- Mix Shallots, bay leaf and wine in pan and reduce over high heat until wine is about 3 to 4 tablespoons.
- Strain wine mix into bowl and whisk in the butter a little at a time until smooth and glossy.
- Stir in herbs. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- You may serve the sauce separately garnished with chives.
- Note for the phyllo step a butter flavored oil spray works well also.
Very good, quick and easy. I will be making this again. Thanks for the recipe!