Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
When asparagus is in season bring out the phyllo and start baking this fresh and yummy dish
- 2 lbs asparagus, fresh, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 16 sheets phyllo dough, 14-inchx9-inch
- In large saucepan bring 8 cups of water to boil.
- Add asparagus, cook uncovered 30 seconds or just until asparagus turns bright green.
- Remove asparagus and immediately drop into ice water.
- Drain and pat dry.
- In large bowl mix eggs cheeses and seasonings.
- Stir in almonds and asparagus.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Brush a 13x9 inch baking dish with some of the butter.
- Unroll phyllo dough.
- Layer eight sheets of phyllo in prepared dish, brushing each with butter.
- Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to preven it from drying out.
- Spread ricotta mixture over phyllo layers.
- Top with remaining phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter.
- Cut into 12 rectangles.
- Bake 50-55 minutes or until golden brown.