Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
These delicious pate sandwiches of asparagus and cheese on sourdough are grilled in the broiler. Very tasty served with a rich tomato soup such as Saks Fifth Avenue Tomato Bisque for a special luncheon. Makes 4 sandwiches. From Saks Fifth Avenue Cafe.
- 2 cups frozen asparagus
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (divided use)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- sliced sun-dried tomato packed in oil
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Thaw and drain asparagus. Combine asparagus with cream cheese in large bowl with an electric mixer or wooden spoon until roughly blended.
- Add 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, salt and pepper; blend until mixture is smooth and even.
- Butter one side of each piece of sourdough bread and sprinkle parmesan cheese over. Lightly pat the cheese into the butter so that it stays on the bread while broiling.
- Place bread slices on a lightly greased cookie sheet, cheese side down.
- With a butter knife, carefuly spread the asparagus pate evenly onto the top of each slice. Add sun-dried tomatoes.
- Place under broiler and broil pate side until warm.
- With a spatula, turn one slice onto another, forming four sandwiches, and broil each side until lightly golden brown.
- Makes 4 sandwiches.
- Great served with a rich tomato soup such as recipe #117907 for a special luncheon.