Recipe by Bev
I recently had a back log of Southern Living Magazines waiting for me to go through. When I came across this pasta recipe, I just knew it was one I couldn't let get away without trying. I am posting it here so I will always know where to find it! This dish makes a great main course or side dish. I prepared this dish as soon as I had all the ingredients on hand and I have to say, it is as delicious as it sounds! This is a very easy recipe to add your desired amount of chicken or shrimp, if you like. I hope you think it looks as tempting as I did ; )!
Top Review by Marusha
Oh my dear Bev! I rarely follow a recipe exactly, but I followed it very closely this time. I'm so very glad I did. What a wonderful, healthy, simple & beautiful dish! Using 1/2 each yellow, red, & orange bell peppers gave it even more color. Using whole wheat pasta & cutting out the olive oil & butter made it even more healthy. Instead of the oils, I spritzed a little olive oil & butter cooking sprays on our individual servings. Not quite the same, but it allows us to enjoy this terrific touch of Spring. I'm taking some of this dish to our exercise class for them to taste. I'm sure there will be more stars to award...8-) Thanks Bev!!!
- 1 (16 ounce) package penne pasta
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted and divided
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pasta according to package direction; rinse and drain.
- Snap off tough ends of asparagus, and slice into 2-inch pieces.
- Sauté asparagus in hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat; 4 minutes.
- Stir in red bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Toss together pasta, asparagus mixture, basil, 1/2 cup cheese, butter and 1/2 cup pecans.
- Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and 1/2 cup pecans.
- Garnish if desired.
- Serves 6.